Monday, February 28, 2011

Another Privilege

Last week I had a really interesting conversation with one of my Thai friends, Ton, about speaking English as a first language. The conversation started with him asking me one simple question, was thankful to be born into an English speaking family? I literally paused for 30 seconds before I answered the question. I said I have always been thankful for so many things in my life, but it has never occurred to me to be thankful for having English as a first language. He then proceeded to tell me how lucky I was to understand English because it gives me the power to travel and communicate with so many different people. I guess I had always understood that, but never really appreciated it until now.

Growing up, especially in a private school, there was always an underlying pressure to learn a foreign language. I decided to take French. I vividly remember people giving me a hard time for not taking Spanish, assuring me that in my lifetime all the street signs in America would be written in both English and Spanish. I was a fool for not learning the language that was growing so quickly in the US. Additionally, as a traveler, especially an English speaking traveler in a non-English speaking country, arrogance was always tied to speaking English and not attempting to speak the native language. I always felt it was something Americans were judged for, the reliability of using the English language. For that reason, it has legitimately never occurred to me to be something to be thankful for.

Then I looked at it from Ton’s perspective. If he wants to do anything outside of Thailand, from traveling to doing business, his native language becomes obsolete. He has to rely on a second or third language. At that point I realized just how lucky I am. I know no matter where I go in the world I will most likely run into someone who speaks at least a little English. That by no means gives me an excuse to not learn another language, especially when traveling, but I know if I ever really get stuck I can fall back on speaking English. Ton doesn’t have that luxury.

On top of that, the Thai government is now putting a huge pressure on students to learn English. They are bringing in native teachers, like us, to teach in schools across the country and they are including English language tests on all their University entrance exams. Ton told me whenever a Thai person sees a foreigner (like me) in Thailand; it is their responsibility to make me feel comfortable by speaking English. I was shocked by this statement. I told him it was 100% my responsibility to speak Thai because I am living in Thailand, but he refused to accept this. So I said if he comes to America, will I have to learn Thai to make him feel comfortable? He thought about this and then said no. He said speaking English is the most important because it is so universal, so it is language we will use everywhere.

Now as a slight disclaimer, Ton is dating Allie, who is an American teaching in Suphan right now. He is surrounded by foreigners who he wants to communicate with, giving him more incentive to learn English then many other Thai people. However, I do believe this conversation with him has brought to light, at least for me, many of the advantages of having English as a first language. I can see it now as something to be thankful for, instead of something that makes me arrogant or unwilling to learn. So now I owe Ton a huge thank you, for again making me realize just how lucky I really am.

1 comment:

  1. That is really an interesting perspective to have. Your friend is so right, however I completely understand your sentiments of feeling the pressure to speak a foreign language
    PS: I can't believe you took French in high school, I had no idea!
    PPS: you need to get a move on with updating this bad boy. I realize your working, but honestly not posting since February is not cool. I am commenting on this now, although I should have the first time I read it so you knew people were reading it.
    Chop Chop missy!

    ReplyDelete