Monday, November 29, 2010

Kanchanaburi

Sorry for the delay on these updates! Our internet has been horribly slow, combined with the busyness of school, which has resulted in my lack of posts. But this week should be an easy week for us so I hope to do a lot of updating. Two weekends ago Ciana and I headed to Kanchanaburi again. We went there during orientation, but we wanted to go back to explore the town and the Erawan Waterfalls. We left Friday after school and arrived at around 7. We found a hostel where our rooms were on the water (the River Kwai) and went out to dinner. The town is very cute. It's basically one road littered with different restaurants and bars. The southern part of the street is all 'lady' bars...where white guys go to hook up with Thai girls. Besides that area, the rest of the street seemed pretty fun. We actually went during a long weekend where most people go up north to Chiang Mai, so the town was pretty deserted both nights. Nevertheless, we found a cute little bar where you sit on stools and pay 10 Baht for a shot of whiskey, a shot of coke and ice and had a good time. Saturday during the day we headed to a national park that's around an hour and a half away to climb the 7-tiered waterfall. It was so beautiful I had to remind myself it was real.

Me in front of tier 2

A waterfall in between tiers

Our favorite, tier 5

Cooling off under the main waterfall in tier 5

The entire hike took us a little under 4 hours. You are constantly looking at waterfalls the whole way, but tiers have pools you can swim in. The water is so blue and really refreshing. The only deterrent -- in every pool are fish. Now you all know I am a water person, so why would fish ever be a deterrent? They eat dead skin. So as soon as you put your feet in the water they swarm to you and start eating the dead skin off the bottom of your feet. While some see this as a free pedicure, it freaked me out. I made sure my feet were constantly moving while I was in the water so the fish didn't come near me. All in all it was a pretty amazing experience and I know I will be back.


1 comment:

  1. Can't believe those teirs are the real deal. The seriously look man made. I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar at one of the Disney resorts ; )

    ReplyDelete